English at Hazel Leys Academy
Our English Curriculum promotes a high standard of language, both in the spoken and written form. It is based on the National Curriculum and incorporates a diverse range of high-quality, engaging literature.
All children from Reception to Year 6 have English lessons at least once a day, which include whole-class study and analysis of a reading book or text as well as writing opportunities. In addition, reading for pleasure is incorporated into the weekly timetable, developing reading skills and widening the opportunities for our children to hear a rich and varied diet of literature.
The children learn to become enthusiastic and critical readers of stories, poetry and drama as well as non-fiction and media texts.
Discrete phonics teaching in EYFS and Key Stage 1 provides children with an excellent introduction to early reading skills. This is taught using the 'Little Wandle' certified Phonics programme.
Throughout our English curriculum, children will:
- Read easily, fluently and with good understanding
- Acquire a wide vocabulary
- Develop an understanding of grammar and knowledge of linguistic conventions for reading, writing and spoken language
- Write clearly, accurately, and coherently, adapting their language and style in and for a range of contexts, purposes and audiences
- Vocabulary, grammar, and punctuation.
- Develop skills in oracy through speaking and listening, making formal presentations and participating in debate.